Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired and Other Fun Tidbits

Be glad that I haven't done any significant posting in a while.  Be very glad.  I let Dr. OhMyAchyBody talk me into doing Prednisone for 15 days and thought I was going to die.  I didn't have hot flashes like that when I went through menopause.  OMG!  Felt like my flesh was melting right off my bones.  And don't even get me started on the diarrhea.  When I have to have something to read when I'm sitting on the toilet, you know that I'm going way too often and way too long.  Can anyone say "20 minute stretches of pouring like a faucet"?  You get the idea.

Someone just shoot me now.  The Prednisone was bad enough.  What was worse is that being on it didn't prove anything.  I had to let go of 2 more tubes of blood.  (The total is now 31.)  We still don't know what's causing all of my problems.  The anemia is still bad, the extra pain is still bad, the SED rate and C-RP are still not right.  The SED rate and C-RP levels both decreased by half while I was on the Prednisone, but that's still close to 3 times what they should be.  And how many times can I write "still" in one paragraph?  Cripes!  Dr. OMAB is now thinking that it's something autoimmune and she is consulting again with Dr. Dracula.  There are over 100 autoimmune diseases and I already have 2 of them: fibromyalgia and eczema.  Woe is me.

I know.  It could be a lot worse.  I just needed to feel sorry for myself and wallow in it for a little while.  I've been pretty good about not whining and complaining.  I've done all these doctor appointments and let them suck out blood whenever they wanted.  I've got appointments with Dr. OMAB, Dr. Dracula, and Dr. SnoozeAndDoze all coming up next month, and I'm just tired of the whole doggone mess.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired, and sometimes a person just needs to let it all out.  I'm finished now.  Thank you for listening.  Let's move on to things more fun.

So anyway, after I got that last set of blood test results, I was feeling pretty depressed.  That's not so good since I'm only seeing the therapist every 4 months now.  But after 15 years of therapy, I know what I need to do to head that nasty depression off at the pass.  Fortunately, Ginger and I had planned a fun, long weekend away in Nashville, leaving on the very morning that I dropped by Dr. OMAB's lab to give blood.  Wow, did we have a great time!

We left for Tennessee that Thursday morning and checked into our fabulous hotel that afternoon.  This is a view of the lobby from the hallway outside of our room on the 19th floor.  Isn't that elevator cool?


After we checked in and dropped off our stuff, we headed 10 miles or so south of Nashville to the outdoor Chihuly exhibit at the Cheekwood.  We wanted to see the exhibit all lit up at night.  Who is Chihuly?  Dale Chihuly is just the most amazing glass artist in the world.  See for yourself......





Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.  The skies opened and a deluge followed.  It was a terrible storm.  Trees and branches were breaking and falling all over the place.  There was spot flooding.  The electrical power was lost over part of Nashville and the surrounding area including the Cheekwood.  So we turned around, found a wonderful Italian restaurant for dinner, and went back to our hotel.  On Friday, all was well weather-wise, so we drove back to the Cheekwood and saw some terrific Chihuly's.  That evening, we went to the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman Auditorium where we saw, among others, Ricky Skaggs, the Grascals, the Whites, and Vince Gill.

On Saturday, we walked back to the Ryman and took a tour of the building including the backstage dressing rooms.  It was a great tour.  Yours truly hopped up on the stage and belted out a verse of Emmylou Harris's song, "One of These Days".  Really.  Honest.  Here's the proof.


I hope never to do that again in my life.  I was so nervous!

On Sunday, we drove back home and had a happy reunion with kitty babies.  That break was just what I needed and we enjoyed it so much.  We'll have to do another trip soon.

One last picture......When we went back to our room after breakfast on Sunday morning, there was a rainbow outside our window.

3 comments:

  1. Hope that you soon find out what is going on, you are in my prayers.
    Thanks for sharing the photos about your great trip. That looks awesome! Too bad you didn't get videos of your singing.
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there my friend. I know how you feel, believe me, I do. You are always in my prayers. But, on a good note, you had a wonderful time in Nashville and I am in awe with the artworks of Dale Chihuly. Unbelievable! Hey, you look at home on that stage and wish Ginger had videotaped you. Would love to hear you singing. You need to post more photos of your vacation on FB. Would love to see them. Take care dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite honestly, I think you looked like a kindergartener about to belt out "Tomorrow":-)After a look at your pics, Nashville is high on the list of why I haven't I ever gone there. Thanks for the great tour! Keep you head held high and your chin down. That's my medical advice. HUH??? Hang tough and cry when you want to! It's your party!

    ReplyDelete